This week our in house health & wellness enthusiast, and receptionist, Taryn, has written a blog about glycation… Read on to discover the effects of sugar on your skin…
If there is an excess of sugar in your body, protein molecules can cross link with sugar molecules, creating new sugar proteins. These are called Advanced Glycation End Products (AGES). As your body doesn’t recognise these AGES, they can lead to inflammation in the skin.
The proteins in your skin that are most prone to glycation are the same ones that make a youthful complexion so plump and springy, collagen and elastin. Once the AGES have formed, they gravitate toward this dermal collagen and elastin, and the more AGES produced, the more collagen is compromised.
The effects at cellular level of your skin’s structure may result in wrinkling, loss of elasticity, stiffness and accelerated ageing.
But, it’s not too late! To fight back you can…
- Be aware of and minimise your sugar consumption.
- Build new collagen with products that contain a retinoid.
PCA Skin Retinol Innovation products available at the clinic that contain retinoid and can help you achieve the latter, are:
- Intensive Brightening Treatment (0.5% Pure Retinol)
- Intensive Age Refining Treatment (0.5% Pure Retinol)
- Intensive Clarity Treatment (0.5% Pure Retinol)