Aging is part of life, and as we get older, our skin loses its elasticity resulting in wrinkles and fine lines. Like many things in life, when it comes to these signs of aging, prevention can come before cure… If you want to prevent wrinkles here are a few everyday habits that you should make and break!
3 Habits to MAKE to help prevent wrinkles.
- Wear sunscreen (every day!) – If you don’t like the feeling of sunscreen on your face, call in to try some PCA Skin Weightless Protection. It’s light, doesn’t feel cloggy, you can wear it under makeup and it will revolutionise the way you feel about facial sunscreen.
- Sleep more – You really do need your beauty sleep! At night, energy and cellular functions focus on repair and recovery, thus preventing wrinkles.
- Stress less – The stress hormone, cortisol, elevates your blood sugar; this causes glycation which damages collagen and elastin, the proteins that smooth and plump your skin.
3 Habits to BREAK to help prevent wrinkles.
- Stop smoking – You don’t need us to tell you that there is nothing good about smoking. Every time you smoke a cigarette you are breathing in carcinogens and toxins that damage your organs, the largest organ being your skin! The repetitive motion of puckering your lips will cause wrinkles around your mouth, we think the only time you should be puckering up is for a kiss!
- Quit sugar – If there is an excess of sugar in your body, protein molecules can cross link with sugar molecules, creating new sugar proteins. These are called Advanced Glycation End Products (AGES). As your body doesn’t recognise these AGES, they can lead to inflammation in the skin. The proteins in your skin that are most prone to glycation are the same ones that make a youthful complexion so plump and springy, collagen and elastin. Once the AGES have formed, they gravitate toward this dermal collagen and elastin, and the more AGES produced, the more collagen is compromised. The effects at cellular level of your skin’s structure may result in wrinkling, loss of elasticity, stiffness and accelerated ageing.
- Sip don’t suck – Ditch the straw and water bottle, and pour your water into a glass instead. Repeatedly pursing your lips to drink through a straw or from a water bottle, will cause wrinkling around your mouth, these lines become more pronounced as you age and your skin weakens.
If you feel that your bad habits may have caught up with you, we can help!
Botox, a natural, purified protein, can be used to soften fine lines or wrinkles caused by facial expressions, stress and sun exposure, creating a smooth, rejuvenated and more youthful appearance. Dermal fillers can be used to fill the fine lines around the mouth, and are also effective in treating frown lines, forehead lines, smile lines, and crows feet.
Call to book your FREE, no obligation cosmedical consultation to find out how we can help.
We also stock an advanced range of skin care products, these prescription strength products can help with aging skin. Products containing Vitamin C, such as Aspect Dr Active C Serum, can improve your skin tone, texture and firmness. And products containing Vitamin A, like Aspect Dr Exfol A Plus Serum, assist with cellular turnover, helping to improve the appearance of fine lines, aging and sun-damaged skin.