At enhanceskin in Nelson we want to help you look and feel the best you can. Our range of cosmedical services and advanced skincare products are designed to do just that.
We’re also lucky to have on hand our in house health & wellness enthusiast and receptionist, Taryn. Taryn has created this delicious and nutritious soup recipe that’s bound to warm the cockles of your heart, as well as nourish your skin from the inside out. We hope you enjoy it!
Vegan Butternut Soup
- 2 Large Butternut Squash (Peeled, cleaned and cut into chunks)
- 1 Large Sweet Potato (Peeled and cut into chunks)
- Large Regular Potato (Peeled and cut into chunks)
- 1 Medium Onion
- 1 Large Apple (Peeled and cored)
- 1 Tsp Crushed Garlic (or 3 Cloves)
- 3/4 Cup Coconut Cream
- Pinch of Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 Tsp Mixed Dried Herbs
- Sprinkle of Paprika
- Salt & Pepper to taste
Use organic Nelson produce wherever possible.
- Place all ingredients, except the coconut cream, into a large pot or slow cooker.
- Add enough water so that about 1 cm of the veggies are emerged. Be cautious not to add too much water or the consistency will be very thin.Cook on a low heat until all the vegetables are soft.
- Blend with a hand blender. If you don’t have a hand blender, a normal one will do. Just ensure the veggies have cooled a bit before placing them in the blender or it may crack, if plastic.
- Return to the heat and add the coconut cream.
- Garnish with drizzled coconut cream.
Why this soup can help with your skincare:
Nutritional Benefits of Butternut for the Skin
- Boasts more vitamin-A than that of pumpkin. It contains high levels of beta-carotene (which your body automatically converts to vitamin A). Vitamin-A is a powerful natural anti-oxidant and is required by the body for maintaining the integrity of skin and mucosa and also identified as a deterrent against age-related macular degeneration
- Beta-carotene has received a great deal of attention for its potential to block the harmful effects of UV radiation by repairing cell damage caused by excessive UV exposure. Increasing your beta-carotene intake can protect you from sun-related aging symptoms, such as wrinkles and blemishes, along with good sun protection of course! Try the PCA Skin Weightless protection available at enhanceskin in Nelson as part of our advanced range of skincare products.
Nutritional Benefits of Kumara for the Skin
- Kumara or sweet potato is a very rich source of vitamin C, which is known to produce collagen. Collagen helps in maintaining the elasticity of the skin and makes it look youthful.
- Kumara or sweet potato, also contains vitamin E, which is known to be beneficial for the health of the skin.
- High in beta-carotene to combat the free radicals which result in skin aging.
Visit Taryn’s website for more delicious recipes.