During these uncertain times, it’s imperative we take care of our mental and physical health. To help you during lockdown we’re sharing a few practices you can incorporate into your daily life to support your health and well-being. Immune support is vital, especially with the current global situation.
Five ways to boost Immune Support:
Get some Zzzzzzs:
If you’re not an essential or frontline worker you’re probably working from home. Not having to race into the office or your workplace each day will hopefully allow you to set the alarm a little later, and get your much-needed 7-8 hours of sleep each night.
Develop a healthy nighttime routine and avoid using your phone or watching TV before bed. Spending time outside during the day will also help to support healthy circadian rhythms. These, in turn, support healthy sleep patterns and a stronger immune system.
Don’t sweat the small (or big) stuff:
Now more than ever it’s important to help reduce our stress levels in a healthy way. Mindfulness practices such as meditation are a great way to slow the mind and be present. Waking Up with Sam Harris is an excellent App that teaches you how to incorporate this amazing practice into your daily life. He has also ensured greater access for all, by making this very effective App FREE for the time being.
You are what you eat:
A balanced diet that is low in sugar and processed foods is a great way to boost your immune support.
Choose whole foods and cook from scratch for a healthy immune system and to keep your gut microbiome diverse. Select foods that will incorporate a multitude of essential vitamins and minerals.
- Vitamin A – Choose sweet potatoes, carrots, dark leafy greens such as kale and spinach and winter squashes.
- Vitamin C – Select citrus fruits such as oranges, lemons, kiwifruits and grapefruits.
- Vitamin E – Keep a range of raw nuts in the pantry or fridge.
- Healthy Fats – Good quality olive oil and avocados are your go-to foods.
- Zinc – Choose high-quality meats for this very important nutrient for the immune system.
Good gut health:
Include probiotic-rich foods into your diet for boosted immune support. Recent studies show that more than 70% of immune-related tissues are located in the gut. This is why it’s vital to support your gut microbiome. Consider including sauerkraut, pickles, kimchi, kombucha, kefir and yoghurt in your diet.
Step into the sunshine:
Vitamin D boosts infection-fighting cells in the skin, and we know that sunlight increases levels of healthy vitamin D.
How we’re supporting local:
Now, more than ever, it’s important to help your local communities and local economy by supporting small businesses. We’ve listed below a handful of businesses that we love shopping from and you can support in the Nelson region. These suppliers all deliver fresh, quality foods to your doorstep.
“You can’t buy happiness but you can buy local, and that’s kind of the same”
- Prego – Free home deliveries of quality and speciality foods to the Nelson region. Great for pantry essentials, fresh produce and deli items.
- Benge and Co – local grocers that are able to select, pack and deliver your favourite fresh produce. A great place to get your seasonal produce and wholefoods.
- Westfleet – Fresh fish from the West Coast. Westfleet can deliver wild-caught seafood from the oceans straight to your door, packed in temperature-control packaging, so it reaches you in prime eating condition.
- Oaklands – the best way to get your fresh A2 milk. Look on their website for a re-filling station near you.