This week our in house health & wellness enthusiast, and receptionist, Taryn, has written a blog about beautifying broccoli. For more wellness inspiration from Taryn visit her website HERE.
Seasonal eating has many benefits, not only for your body and skin but also for the community. Local produce found at local farmer’s markets is more likely to be fresher and, therefore, higher in nutritional value.
Some anti-oxidants such as Vitamin C, folate and carotenes will rapidly decline when stored for periods of time. One vegetable that is currently in season is beautifying broccoli. Broccoli hosts an array of nutritional benefits…
- Powerful Antioxidant – Of all the cruciferous vegetables, broccoli stands out as the most concentrated source of Vitamin C, plus it includes the flavonoids necessary for Vitamin C to recycle effectively. Vitamin C plays a vital role in the formation of collagen, the main support system of the skin.
- Detoxication – Glucoraphanin (which helps to regenerate sun-damaged skin), gluconasturtiin and glucobrassicin are special phytonutrients that support all steps in the body’s detox process, including activation, neutralisation and elimination of unwanted contaminants. These three are perfectly combined within broccoli.
- 1 TBS Chia Seeds – left to swell in a small bowl with 4 TBS water
- 180g Broccoli Florets – cleaned and rinsed
- 1 Cup Almond Meal – ground almonds
- 3 TBS Nutritional Yeast
- 1 TBS Psyllium Husks
- 1 1/2 Tsp Sea Salt or Himalayan Rock Salt
- Grind of Black Pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 200C (fan forced).
- Place the chia seeds and water into a small bowl, mix and leave aside to swell.
- Blitz the broccoli florets in a food processor until fine.
- Add the broccoli to a large mixing bowl and add the remaining dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly.
- Add the swollen chia seed gel and mix well until all combined.
- On a lined baking tray, evenly spread the mixture and press down with either your hands or a silicone baking spatula.
- Poke a few holes around the mixture with a fork to ensure even baking.
- Pop into the oven and bake for 20 mins at 200C or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for a couple of minutes.
- Slice into slices and enjoy or store in an airtight container.