At enhanceskin (Nelson), people often ask us what the term ‘Appearance Medicine’ means. So, in this week’s article, we thought we’d answer that question for you.
A Closer Look at Appearance Medicine?
The umbrella term appearance medicine can cover any treatments or procedures that aim to improve the physical appearance rather than treating a specific illness. This includes addressing scars, wrinkles, and noticeable veins. However, at enhanceskin, we believe appearance medicine goes beyond the physical and can often profoundly affect our patient’s confidence and mental well-being.
Two of the most well-known appearance medicine procedures are Cosmetic Botulinum and dermal fillers. However, these two injectable treatments are still prescription medicines. Therefore, it stands to reason that a doctor or nurse should administer them as happens, here, at enhanceskin in Nelson.
Treatments @ enhanceskin in Nelson:
At enhanceskin, we offer a range of injectable and non-injectable appearance medicine treatments at our Nelson clinic. And also at the Churchill Private Hospital in Blenheim.
- Cosmetic Botulinum – A simple non-surgical procedure. It softens the fine lines or wrinkles caused by facial expressions, stress and sun.
- Dermal Fillers – To physically lift and sculpt areas of the face, neck and décolletage, helping to correct wrinkles, folds, scars and asymmetries.
- Profhilo – A unique, highly concentrated form of hyaluronic acid that stimulates collagen and elastin, attracting water in the deeper layers of the skin to provide hydration and plumpness.
- Platelet Rich Plasma PRP) – A procedure that involves taking a blood sample, concentrating the platelets from that sample and reinjecting the platelets back into the body to assist healing and regenerate tissue.
- Tissue Rejuvenation Therapy – Combines PRP treatments with collagen enhancement therapy (Dermapen) for total tissue/skin rejuvenation.
- And finally, Lipo-Dissolve – A great treatment for double-chins. It’s also a good option for any other area with hard-to-shift fatty deposits. For example, a jowly neck area.
- Fractora – A procedure that uses fractionated energy to rejuvenate and resurface the skin. It can slow the effects of ageing and restore your skin, so you can look and feel younger.
- IPL skin rejuvenation – Uses Intense Pulsed Light to treat pigmented spots, freckles, and sun damage; small veins and capillaries; Rosacea; hyperpigmentation from acne scarring.
- Medi-Facials – Improve dull, lifeless skin, sun damaged, fine lines and open pores.
- Medical micro-needling – A treatment that uses multiple needles to pierce the skin, activate the body’s own healing process, and enhance rejuvenation results.
Finally, all the varicose vein treatments we offer at enhanceskin can also be considered appearance medicine, but with a caveat! Remember that some varicose veins may not be visible at all. However, they may have painful and debilitating symptoms. Furthermore, some medical skin conditions, such as varicose eczema, cellulitis and leg ulcers, may be improved by treating venous insufficiency. We wrote more about this in a recent article.
If you would like to discuss our appearance medicine treatments and how we can help, contact us HERE.