What a wonderful summer we’ve enjoyed in Nelson! But has yours been spoiled by the pressure to have perfect pins in your shorts or togs? If you’ve been hiding your legs away because of unsightly varicose veins then this blog post is for you…
Here are 5 things you should know about varicose veins.
- Not all veins are created equal – Varicose Veins and Spider Veins are not the same thing. Varicose veins are generally thick and blue, protruding from the legs, they occur when one-way valves don’t work, blood begins to collect in the incompetent vein rather than continuing back toward your heart. Spider veins are smaller, thinner blood vessels, closer to the surface and visible under the skin.
- Not just for the girls – Whilst pregnancy and menopause can both be factors in the formation of varicose veins, they are certainly not the only causes. We treat lots of men who have varicose veins too. And ladies, it is definitely a myth that you should wait til you have completed your family to have your veins treated! It just makes for an extremely uncomfortable next pregnancy.
- Varicose veins don’t just affect seniors – We treat plenty of clients in their 20s and 30s for varicose veins. Our range is 17 to 94 years old!
- Vanity is not always the name of the game – There is a common misconception that the major reason for vein treatment is to look better. Whilst you will look great following treatment and be able to wear shorts again, veins are definitely not just a cosmetic problem. They can cause heavy, painful, tired legs, with associated cramps, skin discolouration, itch, and restlessness, and if left untreated can carry longer term health risks such as, dermatitis, ulcers and even deep vein thrombosis, (blood clots) especially with long distance travel.
- Walk on in… Walk on out – In the past, invasive surgical stripping was the only way to treat the appearance and symptoms of varicose veins. This was (and is) expensive, requiring general anesthesia and hospitalization, and shouldn’t be offered anymore. At enhanceskin we offer Ultrasound Guided Foam Sclerotherapy (UGFS), the minimally invasive Endovenous Laser Ablation (EVLA) – the new ‘gold standard’ treatment, as well as the brand new VenaSeal- a medical glue! All are walk in and walk out treatments, you can even drive home afterwards!